Back to School Shopping: Back to the Basics
It’s hard to believe that it is already “back to school” time and the circumstances surrounding it are even more strange. Some of us are going back to school in person, some online, and others are doing a mix of both. So what types of items should you be shopping for, for “back to school?” Basics, basics, and more basics! You can never go wrong by adding a staple piece to your closet that will transition from season to season-and we’ve got you covered!
Before You Buy:
- Dress Code: Does your school have one? If so, are the items you’re purchasing within the guidelines?
- Fall is coming: Does this piece transition? Will this be something you can wear in 2-3 months when Fall arrives?
- Versatility: Can you wear it at least 3 different ways? This is key to compiling a closet full of staples! Anytime you go to purchase something, try to imagine at least three different looks you can make with that piece.
Five Staples To Add to Your Closet:
- D E N I M : You can never go wrong with a classic pair of medium/dark wash denim! They match just about everything and can easily be dressed up or down.
- B L A C K P A N T S : No need for an explanation on this one…everyone needs a pair of solid black pants. We chose to highlight a pair with slight destruction for a more casual option, as well as a slightly thicker pair without holes for a dressier look.
- B A S I C T O P S : Knits are everywhere right now! They are easy to wear & style, comfortable, and a great price point. Make sure to add a few basic tops (like the tank top styled here) to your closet for quick & easy everyday looks. *Throw your favorite denim jacket or cardigan over it for colder school buildings or for an easy Summer to Fall transitional outfit)
- C L A S S I C S H O E S : Another staple everyone needs in their closet. We typically recommend something like a classic slide because they can worn casually or as a work-wear option! A neutral color is usually best & we always tend to go for cognac because it’s a shade that also goes with black.
- A C C E S S O R I E S : Now we don’t mean go crazy with jewelry, hats, and belts for school. We mean a few pieces that will carry you from season to season and not go out of style. Something like this mini backpack is perfect because it can hold your essentials but isn’t too big for every day. And of course, a basic nude bralette is ideal because it goes with everything and is extremely comfortable if you're going to be sitting in a classroom chair all day.
And don't forget you can always layer up any of your favorite pieces that are already in your closet with jean jackets, lightweight cardigans, or long sleeve button up tops to help with the Summer to Fall transition! Our next post will be all about neutrals so stay tuned for how to style neutrals for Fall!